A while back, you may recall I wrote about my visit to Disneyland and chronicled the fun Stars Wars stuff to do and buy there (the blog is here). I mentioned the Star Wars Zip Satchel by Dooney & Bourke that is exclusive to the Disney parks and how it was a little pricey for me. Well, my boyfriend’s stepmom randomly sent it to me as a gift! I am still shocked and so happy about it.
In honor of this gift, I wanted to do a little blog post about some great items that fellow Star Wars loving gals like me can look into (there are also some items that can work for dudes who are into the franchise as well – no worries). Whether The Force Awakens is your first experience with the franchise and you want to learn more, or you love the whole thing and just want to dive deeper into the fandom, here’s some info for you, past going to signature Star Wars events or the upcoming San Diego Comic Con:
CLOTHING & BAGS:
- The Zip Satchel above is available from the Disney Store online and this particular design of my bag, as well as a beautiful black leather “Dark Side” theme with red trim, can be viewed at this link. Prices range from $108 to $298, and they are peppered among the other D&B Disney bags here (FYI – they also have an Avengers design and Haunted Mansion, which is a cult favorite ride at both parks)
- Are the D&B bags are a little pricey? No worries! ThinkGeek has these beautiful R2D2 and Boba Fett purses for $50 here. Target has cool tote bags, backpacks and luggage that range from $15 upwards here. BoxLunch also has some sick looking backpacks and messenger bags for around $65 here.
- Clothing – The aforementioned Disney store has lots of Star Wars clothes of all varieties, as well as Target, but you can also check out Etsy for truly unique items (including bags plus more items) and more typical vendors like JC Penney, Hot Topic, ThinkGeek, Kohls (as evidenced by Chewbacca Mom), and Her Universe (the lightsaber skirt is crazy!)
SONGS FOR YOUR iTUNES LIBRARY:
- “Yellow Laser Beams” by MC Frontalot
- “A New Hope” by Blink182
- “The Saga Begins” by Weird Al
SUPPLEMENTARY FILMS TO WATCH:
- Fan Boys – This fictional film follows the journey of some friends who travel across the country to break into Skywalker Ranch (George Lucas’ compound) to get their terminally ill friend to see the yet-to-be-released installment of Star Wars.
- The People vs George Lucas – Just like how our parents aren’t perfect, neither is the father of Star Wars, Mr. George Lucas. The film is presented as a law case where what he has done to his own franchise is examined, for the good and bad parts.
- Star Wait – This is a hilarious and raw documentary that examines a group of die hard fans who follow a tradition to camp out to wait for tickets to be the first people to see Star Wars at Graumans Chinese Theater in Hollywood, CA.